|TITANIUM Motorsports |
"POS Cobra" Restoration Journal
Titanium Motorsports Racing Journal
Parts & Stuff
Motorsports "POS" Mustang Cobra Restoration Journal|
|#8: April 7th, 2010 - Cleaning and Refurbishing the Rear Axle Assembly and Brakes...|
After getting the car back from Buddy and putting it back up on jack stands, I proceeded to remove the rear axle assembly for cleaning and refurbishing.
With the rear axle gone from car, it down to just a shell.
The the gear oil on the 3rd member came from the vent, the pinion seal was OK.
I used a pressure washer and spray degreaser to clean the housing. It did a great job of getting rid of all the dirt and gear oil.
Next on the list was the removal of the upper axle bushings. I used a drill and torch to remove the rubber part, then a reciprocating saw to cut the shell so they could be removed.
Next step was to pull the axles and unbolt the mounting plates for cleaning and painting.
Before painting the housing, I ground-down the casting part line on the center section.
The axles are now cleaned, painted and reinstalled. The new axle housing bushings are installed.
Next on the list are the caliper mounting plates and bolts cleaned, painted and reinstalled. Then the axle tubes, center section and cover cleaned and painted.
The calipers have been rebuilt, painted and brake lines installed.
One ABS sensor installed. The other broke on removal.
New dust shields were donated by PBMC member Mitch
I used a 1990 Jeep Cherokee brake drum as a mounting stand.
All done. Here is the "Before" picture again to compare.
All images are property of Titanium Motorsports and may not be used without permission.
Last Modified: April 1st, 2011.